Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

18 April 2024 23:02

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Jyothsna
Subject: How does the transverse Mass moment of Inertia of the setup affect precession velocity in Gyroscopes
Question: At the site "http://videolectures.net/mit801f99_lewin_lec24/" The professor sits on a rotatable stool with a spinning bicycycle wheel in his hand. The axis of spin of the wheel and that of the stool are parallel but offset by a distance. now as the professor tries to change the axis of spin through his hands, he starts precessing with the stool with a certain angular velocity. My question is

1. Will the precession velocity change if the professors weight is increased or a kid sits on his lap? and why?
2. Will the precession velocity change if the rotating wheel is held closer to or away from the axis of the stool? and why?

I need to understand this because we are trying to see if we can use a independently driven spinning disc on the front wheel of a bicycle to steer it as it rolls due to an imbalance.

1) As i understand ,the front fork will have inertia against steering- as this is also angular motion and initially the fork had no angular velocity.
How is the pression velocity of the disk mounted on the wheel axis, affected by this additional mass (of the non spinning fork ) to be precessed ? This when the disturbing couple is taken to be constant.
2)How is the gyro couple affected?

I have gone through many sites , but i am unable to solve my above mentioned doubts. I know i am missing something here and i dont know what.

Thanks in advance
Date: 8 February 2011
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

• No answers yet
  • Add an Answer >>
    Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
    Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products