Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

2 May 2024 01:48

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Glenn Hawkins
Subject: SATURATION POINT
Question: I understand the saturation point. It is real and is simple mechanics. I would draw some schematic for you here if I could.

Every action in a working gyroscope seeks to curve. When the hub forces the the gyroscopes faster in their precession paths than would be the normal balance, they try to curve upwards and inwards towards the center of the hub. This works kind of like increasing the power OF centripetal (inward force) so that it becomes more powerful than centrifuge (the outward force.) Centrifuge doesn’t disappear. It is simply overcome by a greater force.

The maligned confederacy against the insistence of Sandy Kidd's findings of a saturation point was unfounded and wrong for more than twenty years. The above explains how it has no alternative but to exist and work. It has to.
Glenn
Date: 11 March 2012
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Sandy Kidd - 11/03/2012 19:41:05
 Hello again Glenn,
The saturation thing is very real as anyone who has played with mechanically accelerated flywheels will know.
It is not so much why it happens but the fact that it does happen.
That said it is not an instant or one time action.
It is the progressive increase in flywheel rotation speed and /or system rotation speed which is responsible for the saturation event, and will be different for every combination of flywheel and system layout. (e.g. radius of system rotation).
What is important is the fact that there is a progressive decrease in system angular momentum as the flywheel speed is increased.
There is nothing mentioned in physics which relates to this loss or change in angular momentum whilst the system rotation speed is constant.
Is there?
If you want to build a successful machine, start with this.
Nobody said it was easy but the answers are in the above facts.
Best regards,
Sandy.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 11/03/2012 21:10:16
 Hello Sandy,

This all makes perfectly good sense to me, but it was a long time coming, Sandy. I guess why things happen the way they is very important to me. I feel I can manipulate them much better, perhaps uniquely, if I understand the where and what-all of causes. But I admit that with gyros this may not be so true.

Here is a mind twister: Where dose the energy go? The system slows down as the wheels are rotated faster, because they resist (what we call forced-precession) and would apply the resulting greater reaction energy at a right angle. Do you deny them the freedom to rise at will?

We all believe that energy is never lost, but is converted to a different kind of energy. So if you have a working system actively resisting force and yet there is no loss of energy due to friction and heat-- what is happening to physics?

Never mind old friend. I know you will say, “It just does, and why doesn't matter.” Good enough Sandy. Good of you to discover the 'thing'. It's nice communicating with you again.
Best Regards,
Glenn

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 18/03/2012 00:41:39
 Hello again Sandy,
What would happen if you laid your machine sideways on big rollers? Might it not produce the same visual, measurable movement that Nitro's device produces?

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 24/03/2012 01:00:04
 A packet of counter balancing gyros cannot simply jerk, shove or waddle forward building little accelerations into permanent velocity. That is they can’t by precessing 180o clockwise to a forward position, stopping, then precessing 18Oo counter-clockwise with endless repetition then be shoved backwards. You can’t get there that way, not at a constant two miles per hour waddling, then -0- mph when it stops waddling.

These 180o turns are torque and are not linear movement in a million years. The torque must pull, or shove weight forward into straight momentum by the force of its torque. Nitro first demonstrated how this is done. There are other ways. I wonder how many. His machine when he gets through tweaking it may be the best.

The machine for all the world appears capable of creating constant velocity with better engineering and additional parts and actions.

I worry for all of us if velocity created this way is not extremely, extremely limited. Eventually we will have to create a method to make the gyro sling itself forward. Then the prize of near earth travel is ours. Forget the rocket. Magnificent human engineering that it is, it’s speed related to even our closest star is like . . . zero speed.

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 24/03/2012 09:40:18
 I just woke up form a night of intermediate sleep and knew it can be done and how to do it. I had this solved this a long time ago, but forgot.

If a heavy gyroscope is rotating extremely fast and is tilted extremely, quickly there will be powerful torque processing very quickly. At 180o precession/rotation you reverse applied tilt force to the opposite side of the gyro. This releases the mass and power in torque the same as when a boy is whirling a rock on a string around and around and the string breaks. Sudden reverse tilt force is the answer.

Odd that I have to almost reinvent some even simple methods. I’m still having to remember bits and pieces of the design, but I’m coming along. I have lost the blueprints somewhere as I said. A conversation with Luis about sling shots I believe, helped me remember. Though the action is different the results is the same.
Glenn,

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 24/03/2012 09:44:37
 Pardon me. The above two answers must follow one after the other to make good sense.

Report Abuse
Answer: Ted Pittman - 15/09/2012 00:03:02
 The answers are NOT intuitive.
You must start from a position of NOT KNOWING and then you MUST experiment.

Report Abuse
Answer: Ted Pittman - 15/09/2012 00:03:11
 The answers are NOT intuitive.
You must start from a position of NOT KNOWING and then you MUST experiment.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products