Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

29 March 2024 07:55

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Jenny Jenkins
Subject: Why is a gyroscope's precession fastest at 45 degrees?
Question: I did an experiment in which I varied the starting angle of elevation of a gyroscope. I noticed that at 45 degrees, the precessional period (amount of time to perform one spin) is the lowest, while at 0 degrees and 75 degrees, the precessional period is the highest. If I plotted this on a graph, it looks somewhat like half a sinusoidal curve, with 45 degrees being the minimum.

Keep in mind that the starting angular frequency of the rotor/wheel in the gyroscope is always the same in the beginning.

I just want to know why a gyroscope tends to spin faster at 45 degrees.
Date: 1 February 2015
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 29/04/2015 02:26:25
 Hello Jenny,
The shaft of an overhung gyroscope is a lever. The greater leverage (pry bar) occurs as the shaft lengthens. Imagine turning over a rock with a pole short or long-- that is the same principle.

Gravity is vertical and so the distance of the shaft from gyro to the pivot cone (straight down) increases and decreases toward and from 90 degrees straight out..

Report Abuse
Answer: d brown - 30/06/2019 20:55:03
 Glenn I think what you're talking about has to do with or is needed to answer his question.

But the answer to the question will probably be something like the more horizontal the gyroscope lever is the faster it will precess but the further it has to go around so there will be a trade-off and trade-off will be the key point to keep in mind.

Report Abuse
Answer: d brown - 06/08/2019 06:10:41
 jenny, ty
your findings will help me.

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products