Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

28 March 2024 18:49

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Nate
Subject: Anomalous gyro behavior
Question: Hello all,

Since many who post here continually show their expertise (or ignorance) about gyroscopic behavior, I propose to use this thread to discuss unusual gyro behaviors that experimenters have noticed - and conclusion they have drawn from what they have seen.

Particularly, relating to: (1) non-symmetrical gyroscopes, (2) precession reversal, (3) oscillating gyroscopes.

Anyone...?

Nate

Date: 20 November 2015
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

Answer: Glenn Hawkins - 20/11/2015 21:45:49
 Don't say (ignorance). What did you gain ? Aren't you sick of of these kinds of words by now?

Again please Nate, what are you talking about? Explain this made up jargon. Examples?

Report Abuse
Answer: Nate - 20/11/2015 23:45:45
 "... I propose to use this thread to discuss unusual gyro behaviors ...etc"

Report Abuse
Answer: Nate - 20/11/2015 23:45:46
 "... I propose to use this thread to discuss unusual gyro behaviors ...etc"

Report Abuse
Answer: Dave Parsons - 21/11/2015 01:39:55
 Nate;

I admire your precise and straightforward replies; unfortunately, most people have a tendency to go on and on.

I will be posting here myself in the future; it will be many days until them. I'm in the process of "moving".

I am looking forward to analysing any devices or "theories" presented.

dave

Report Abuse
Answer: James - 28/01/2016 14:59:02
 Ref: ignorance.
Stuart Firestein's new book "Failure: Why Science is so Successful".

“Most of us have a false impression of science as a surefire, deliberate, step-by-step method for finding things out and getting things done. In fact, says Stuart Firestein, more often than not, science is like looking for a black cat in a dark room, and there may not be a cat in the room. The process is more hit-or-miss than you might imagine, with much stumbling and groping after phantoms. But, it is exactly this “not knowing”, this puzzling over thorny questions or inexplicable data, that gets researchers into the lab early and keeps them there late, the thing that propels them, the very driving force of science.
… Scientist use ignorance to program their work, to identify what should be done, what the next steps are, and where they should concentrate their energies.
… Scientist use ignorance, consciously or unconsciously - a remarkable range of approaches that include looking for connections to other research, revisiting apparently settled questions, using small questions to get at big ones, and tackling a problem simply out of curiosity.”

Report Abuse
Answer: Glenn Turner - 28/01/2016 15:27:35
 I think it would be a good idea to spin this off as a new category in its own right.

Any objections to this?

Glenn Turner

Report Abuse
Answer: James - 29/01/2016 00:47:35
 It was just a response to Nate's and Glen's contention over the word 'ignorance'.

Report Abuse
Answer: Nate - 01/07/2016 04:19:03
 Bits & pieces of our puzzle...

During October and December 2005, Luis Gonzalez and Sandy Kidd discussed a thread titled “Seeking the Illusive Third Derivative “J””. Luis defined “J” as the scientific symbol for a changing rate of acceleration. In his post of 1 Oct. 2005, Gonzalez describes some of the obstacles involved in generating a propulsive force from gyroscopic precession.

“If we found a way to generate “accelerated-precession”, derived from a force (and its opposite reaction) that have been applied at 90 degrees (from the direction of the resulting ‘accelerated-precession’), we would have a strong basis for internal propulsion, without an “opposite” reaction.”

Without repeating his posts, I propose that a device has been made that, by its very design, the “accelerated-precession” effectively points in only one direction. A multi-cycle model using lateral acceleration to produce upward procession of a gyro and then forcing the gyro downward has been achieved. “J” is, indeed, part of the technical solution that circumvents “Nitro’s first law”.

Both Gonzalez and Benjamin T. Solomon describe the physical conditions relating to flywheel radius and velocity combined with radial distance from the flywheel pivot-point. Sandy Kidd has stated there is a “saturation zone” marked by what appears to be a temporary stop in the upward motion of the gyroscope. In Kidd’s response to Gonzales (November, 2005), he refers to the work of G. Harry Stine and Davis in regards to a “phase shift” that occurs in their eccentric-mass devices. He did not describe how it might be used to advantage.

Sparak Poliakov (photo of his device, on this site, at bottom of page …/propulsion.asp) has published a 90 page detailed report of his work with oscillating the center of gravity of a ring of spinning gyroscopes about a common central axis. His design and mathematical analysis was strongly influenced by “J”. Oscilloscope photos and math analysis indicate Poliakov achieved impulses greater than 4.5 Newtons. He is reported to have changed his approach to using liquid mercury (See Youtube).

All the above work has been based on using symmetrical flywheels/gyroscopes and oscillating them to achieve propulsive force. While Kidd, Solomon and Poliakov mechanically restrict the motion of their devices, Gonzalez prefers to allow “the fast upward-travelling flywheel strikes the component above, transferring the wheel’s momentum to that component above, …”.

For years, my earlier work included a Thrust-Plate (TP) for the gyroscopes to hit against. Eventually, I tried removing the TP and designed hybrid-gyros that could pivot 360 degrees!

That simple design change allows a Gyrodisk to cyclically “morph” between being a gyroscope and being an eccentric-mass. Thus overcoming some of the limitations of both while gaining advantages inherent in both. In the Gamma Drive there’s no need for a Thrust-Plate or the latching mechanisms used by Stine and Davis.

All because the precession vector of a Gyrodisk does not reverse when the Gyrodisk is inverted!

Namaste,
Nate

Report Abuse
Add an Answer >>
Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products