Home : Gallery : History : Uses : Behaviour : Maths : Forum : Propulsion : Links : Glossary
Main Forum Page

The Gyroscope Forum

28 March 2024 11:26

Welcome to the gyroscope forum. If you have a question about gyroscopes in general, want to know how they work, or what they can be used for then you can leave your question here for others to answer. You may also be able to help others by answering some of the questions on the site.

Search the forum:  

Question

Asked by: Nitro
Subject: updated video
Question: Dear Gyronaughts

UPDATED VIDEO:-

It has always been difficult to maintain your (well mine anyway) belief that there are some things anomalous with gyros and knowing that they have not been noticed by main stream science for some three hundred years. It is yet more difficult when mainstream science carries out duff experiments that purport to confirm that the Newtonian basis for everything is immutable. It may be easier to stiffen your resolve to see the latest video (link below) that shows that the cream of mechanical and gyrodynamic knowledge that is the Cambridge University’s Engineering department is (IMHO) wrong in some of its understanding and teaching of gyrodynamics.

Some of you will have seen the recent video I put up to on the Jogglevision channel on YouTube to show that the view put forward by Eric Laithwaite, that a precessing overhung gyro exhibits none of the EXPECTED centrifugal force, is quite right. The view that centrifugal force IS exhibited is still held by many people – even some here.

One of the most extraordinary examples of this misunderstanding can be seen in Dr Hugh Hunts University of Cambridge Engineering department’s web pages where a certain Emma Wilson took the opportunity to use her Thesis, seemingly, with the sole aim of rubbishing Eric Laithwaites work. I always thought that a thesis was to be used to show that unique work had been carried out to further the sciences – obviously I was wrong. The web pages show that Emma (and presumably that department’s Dr Hugh Hunt) believed that a gyro will precess around its centre of mass instead of around its centre of suspension/pivot point.

There are some motions, in the video, below, that are caused by non gyroscopic (Newtonian) mass and less than perfect release. The more practical amongst you will be able to identify and eliminate these slight variations from your view.

I was reluctant to do the same kind of hatchet job on Emma as she did on Laithwaite but on reflection I thought:- What’s grease for the goose butters no parsnips – or something – so I have put up an updated video with her erroneous (IMHO) conclusions at the start to compare with the simple test I put up originally.

The updated video is here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi2KyoUIHAM

Happy viewing
NM
Date: 25 March 2016
report abuse

Answers (Ordered by Date)

• No answers yet
  • Add an Answer >>
    Website. Copyright © 2024 Glenn Turner. All rights reserved. site info
    Do not copy without prior permission. Click here for gyroscope products